Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Do You Live To Work or Work To Live?

A snippet from Robert Heinlein:

I saw all around me this enormous plant, cities, farms, factories, churches, schools, homes, railroads, luggage, roller coaster, trees, saxophones, libraries, people and animals. People that looked like me, if what I was told was the truth. But what did they appear to be doing? 'They went to work to earn the money to buy the food to get the strength to go to work to earn the money to buy the food to get the strength to go work to get the strength to buy the food to earn the money to go to -- ' until they fell over dead. Any slight variation in the basic pattern did not matter, for they always fell over dead. And everybody tried to tell me that I should be doing the same thing.

....from "They", a short story by Robert A. Heinlein


A Hat Tip to Thunder and Roses

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home