Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Teacher's Gone Wild

What the hell is going on with these teachers? It used to be that male teachers were sometimes known to prey on young women, but lately it's been the female teachers that have gone beserk. Another blurring of the differences in the sexes and not in a positive way I might add.
I see plenty of young boys and girls come through juvenile justice system-enough to draw some conclusions. Some might call these conclusions stereotypes, but whatever. My humble observations are that boys have a greater propensity for "breaking bad" than girls, but can't hold a candle to the intensity of a girl acting out. It's like comparing a stick of dynamite to an atomic bomb. Maybe it's just that boys are supposed to be a little wild and girls are supposed to be demure and well behave and that skews my observation, but I don't think that's the whole deal.
I've seen angelic little 12 year old girls upset with their mother or father or homelife or life in general transform themselves into hard core drug addicts and prostitutes. I've seen 75 lb. girls "dog cuss" and strike armed police officers. I've seen the emails they send to their friends using language that would make a longshoreman blush. And unlike the boys, who usually don't have the gumption to commit a crime alone, the girls don't wait around for others to follow or help them-they just go for the gusto. They also seem to have the capacity to turn their behavior around on a dime and go straight again. Boys seem to just slide deeper and deeper into the pit-they escalate on a rather predictable basis from petty stuff to more serious. Any thoughts?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've done both and I would rather supervise the meanest, pit-bull owning, chain-wearing,pyschotic felon on probation than a 15 year old girl gone bad. I took an informal survey of probation/parole officers and the anecdotal evidence is overwhelming.Surely the fact that you just don't expect it has something to do with the perception, but there it is.

11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home