Thursday, January 27, 2005

Love and Fishing

There is a saying among flyfishers that "the way to a man's heart is through his fly."
Christina at http://www.feistyrepartee.blogspot.com shares her story about when her husband truly fell in love with her. Very funny and poignant tale illustrating the differences between the sexes on these matters. She writes:

Everyone knows there are different kinds of love. Love between a child and parent, parent and child, between and among friends and other family, romantic "in-love," and the long-lasting "over a lifetime" love.I recognize, acknowledge, and cherish the reciprocal parent and child love. I'm there. I think I have that down.While not the most experienced human out there, I've done the romantic "I'm so going to die I'm so in love with you" kind of "in-love" love.My question is how does one know when someone is "The One?"Occasionally, this gentleman gives us a glimpse of what and how he feels about his lovely wife. As an outsider who has not met either of them, I do think he knows and experiences daily that "over a lifetime" love. I certainly hope he does and I like to think he does.This young lady is newly engaged and completely head-over-heels for her man. Again, I certainly hope the absolute best for them and hope that their romantic "in-love" blissfully translates into that "over a lifetime" love.I guess that makes me a romantic at heart.I met the man I married at twenty-one and we were married when I was twenty-three. The whole concept of love and being "in love" was so very new and wonderful to me. I know I plagued him with my insecurities by asking over and over and over again why was it he loved me. It was so very hard for me to believe it true.Just before we married, he finally told me.I do not know if I expected or wanted him to tell me he loved me because of my feisty personality, my appearance, my loyal and stalwart ways, my intelligence, my smile, the brightness of my eyes or the darkness of my hair. He did not say any of those things.He told me he loved me because I was me.That may well have been the correct answer (remember I was twenty-two at the time), but I was a bit disappointed and thought he was taking the coward's way out.Responding to my obvious disappointment (yes, I pouted), he then began to tell me when he knew he loved me.Of course, I immediately perked up.He said there were two occasions which drove home for him the notion that I was "The One" for him.My mind instantly began scanning the old memory banks. The barrister's ball when I wore that gorgeous gown and felt like a million bucks? That romantic evening under the stars? That great weekend we had at the lake? Skinny dipping??To each of my suggestions, he smiled and shook his head.He told me he began to think I was the "The One" when he had taken me fishing with his buddies. I did not complain about the heat of the day, the bugs, the smelly bait, or their consumption of beer.Further, when the day was done, he bet a couple of his buddies that I could clean fish faster than any of them. A competition was held and he won $20 off of my fish cleaning abilities. He said then and there he first realized I was a keeper.He added that point was made crystal clear a few weeks later when we were at my parents' home in Louisiana.As I have mentioned before, my parents' had an acre pond stocked with bass, bream, white perch, and catfish. The bream and perch were the easiest to catch and we spend most of our time with crickets or worms fishing for them on three or four pound test line.Occasionally, a bass would hit it.Rarely, the bait was placed in just the right spot and a catfish might be snagged.On this one occasion, my boyfriend managed to hook a catfish on that four pound test line and a fight was on! It was late summer and the water level on the pond was down by three or four feet, so there was a good deal of mud between the bank and the water.As he was fighting to bring the catfish in, it jumped and splashed near the top of the water. Good God! That thing was huge!With rod bent nearly in half, he continued to reel and back up to guide the fish to the bank. My faithful dog and I were wildly excited and watching intently.When the catfish hit the mud between the water and the bank, I just knew the line would break and he'd get away. In an instant, the dog and I both jumped in the mud to catch that damn fish.The dog received the genius points on this deal because he had sense enough to grab the tail which left me reaching for the head.I got nailed by the catfish, but, sure enough, as soon as dog and I grabbed hold, the line snapped. That fish did not get away. He weighed in just over eleven pounds. Wahoo!It was very shortly thereafter boyfriend asked my parents for my hand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home