Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Old Sheldon Church ruins-Yemasee, S.C.



The first time I saw this, I was flying down a tree-canopied two lane road trying to find a shortcut from Beaufort, S.C. to I-95 North. Shortly before this was a vast lime-green colored swamp filled with long dead bleached white trees whose branches reached into the blue sky like the fingers of skeletons. I kicked up gravel off the shoulder as I veered back onto the road, stunned by the eerie scene although it was noon in the dead of summer. Not half a mile further, I almost broke my neck as I turned to see this greek temple with huge Tuscan columns rising out of the absolute middle of nowhere. It's the Old Sheldon Church ruins, originally named Prince William's Parish Church, erected in 1745-55 and burned twice-once during the American Reviolution and again by Sherman's army. A more peaceful, serene place I've never seen. This plaque gives a brief history.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home