Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Truth Stranger Than Fiction

Several years ago I tried a guy for impaired driving in front of a jury. The arresting officer testified that the defendants speech was extremely slurred to the point of being unintelligible. The defendant called his father to testify in his defense about something or other, so on cross exam, I asked the father if his son's speech was always slurred-his answer stunned me, the other lawyer, the judge and proably the jury, I was so taken aback I forgot to look at them. His father said "only when the wind is from the north." I thought that could was the craziest thing I'd ever heard, but today this same father was in court on his own charge and he brought in a "witness" to the crime and attempted to call this "witness" to the stand-the "witness" was his cocker spaniel! Now, it's all clear to me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home