Thursday, March 31, 2005

Hitting the Big 5-0

There's nothing like a "decade" birthday to make you assess and re-assess the past ten years and even look further back at the whole run. I run slap into fifty years of age the first part of next month and I've been planning my own birthday bash (if you want it right, do it yourself). Aside from the main, invite everyone I know throwdown on the beautiful Beaufort waterfront, I am having a small group of close friends for a pre-party cookout the night before and a dinner at a nice restaurant afterwards. I've been extremely blessed to have a diverse group of friends that have profoundly influenced the direction and quality of my life- fishing buddies, work buddies, bosses, mentors and great friends I have met through those people and have become quite close to. When I examine my list, it becomes clear that a single, momentous decision I made in 1991, (to change careers from lawyer to prosecutor), is solely responsible for placing these terrific people in my life's path. I am a firm believer in fate, but I also realize that in order for fate to work its magic, you have to be able to make life-altering changes and huge leaps of faith, sometimes on a moment's notice. When all your instincts kick-in and that little devil on your shoulder suggests that instead of choosing Path "A" or Path "B," you should say WTF and find the trailhead to Path "C," you've got to have the guts and the impetuousness to venture forward-and never, ever look back and question your choice. If it doesn't work out, regroup and move on. Life is a constant series of choices-some monumental, some inconsequential-the irony is that you will not know which is which until your life has played out. I have been very lucky that my instincts and my "no guts, no glory" mindset has served me well-so far!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home